Re: Ghostscript/GhostPDL 9.22 Release Candidate 1

From: Masamichi Hosoda
Subject: Re: Ghostscript/GhostPDL 9.22 Release Candidate 1
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2017 20:04:06 +0900 (JST)

> Note that I didn't attempt this on 9.21, just the 9.22 release
> candidate. While the fonts are properly dropped from the individual
> PDF files, none of the text was visible in the final PDF file, when
> rebuilding with Emmentaler supplied as an external font in fontmap.GS.
>
> Its interesting that the OTF worked for you because I would expect it
> to; OTF fonts with CFF outlines are handled simply be extracting the
> CFF, which is usable directly in PostSceript. TrueType fonts are not
> directly supported by PostScript and that's where the heuristics come
> back again, we have to guess at some aspects of the encodings.

In my experiment, I used gs-9.22rc1 but I didn't use fontmap.GS.

Instead, I created a PostScript file
that contains only font resource in the same format as EPSs.
That is, for the  Emmentaler-20 font,
I created a file `fonts/Emmentaler-20.font.ps` with the following contents.

```
%%BeginFont: Emmentaler-20
%%BeginResource: font Emmentaler-20
%!PS-Adobe-3.0 Resource-FontSet
%%DocumentNeededResources: ProcSet (FontSetInit)
%%Title: (FontSet/Emmentaler-20)
%%Version: 0
%%EndComments
%%IncludeResource: ProcSet (FontSetInit)
%%BeginResource: FontSet (Emmentaler-20)
/FontSetInit /ProcSet findresource begin
%%BeginData: 67355 Binary Bytes
[...snip...]
%%EndData
%%EndResource
%%EndResource
%%EndFont
```

Then, I invoked Ghostscipt with the following command.

$ gs -dBATCH -dNOPAUSE -sDEVICE=pdfwrite \
     -sOutputFile=include-bigpdfs-noembed-gse.pdf \
     -c ".setpdfwrite" \
     -f fonts/*.font.ps include-bigpdfs-noembed.pdf

`fonts/Emmentaler-20.font.ps` and other font files
`fonts/TeXGyreSchola-Regular.font.ps` etc. are in my sample tarball.

In this method, for TrueType fonts,
I think that the encoding is confusing and broken as you mentioned.