Re: forcing hshift

From: Han-Wen
Subject: Re: forcing hshift
Date: Sun, 23 Jun 2002 12:40:57 +0200

address@hidden writes:
> in tab, it would be like this:
>
> |     |     |
> *-----------*----|
> *-----*----------|
>
> Because tab is always one voice.  That's what's wrong with it.
> Tab has the beginnings of notes, but takes no account of
> where they end.  But the column spacing is unhairified.
> If only you spaced the notes according to the tab.  That's
> why it's too bad you didn't do tab long ago.

This paradigm falls apart when you do complex hemiolas (i.e. 7/6 and
5/4 in 4/4 time), because the beat is nowhere to be seen. Keep in mind
that lily has to handle more than only your guitar music.

> And the solution in the past for me has been to add a
> third part.

indeed, if the quarter notes are there, they'll spaced that way.

> > With the feature you could specify regularSpacing = #(make-moment 1
> > 8), and get regular 8th notes.  it was introduced in 1.5.2, and i'd be
> > very glad if someone would front-port it again (hint hint :-). It also
> > makes a ragtime piece that I tried to do with lily a lot easier to
> > read.
>
> Would that help with < { a4 a2 } { a'2 a'4 } > in 3/4?

sure. You could force the distances between 1/4 time differences to be
equal.

--

Han-Wen Nienhuys   |   address@hidden   |   http://www.cs.uu.nl/~hanwen