Re: german mailinglist for lilypond?

From: Anthony W. Youngman
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2004 21:43:22 +0000

In message <address@hidden>, Hans Forbrich <address@hidden> writes
One variation I have used when writing to German lists to which I belong:
Being of German descent but having a somewhat limited vocabulary, I will
write the question in both my limited German and in English.  I usually get
help in two ways then - in my problem and in my German.

I'd go along with that, actually (and I'm the same as you - I had a German grandmother :-) "Other languages are fine, so long as they are accompanied by an English translation".

I agree with Werner's concern - splitting to language-based lists will do very
little more than splinter the already limited (albeit excellent) resources
that are available.  (And give the spam-bots more lists to haunt.)

Yup. I don't think more lists are a good idea, either (hence the desire to permit other languages if necessary). Again, I've seen the same sort of thing - foreign posts were accepted, but replies were usually bilingual - in the original language and in English.

But as a native English speaker who considers himself European, I really don't like the idea of a "foreign" language (namely American) as our "lingua franca" ... The majority of Europeans (by a long way) speak a variant of German as their native language.

Cheers,
Wol
as Lies-to-People.