Re: Newer version for FreeBSD

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Newer version for FreeBSD
Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2005 17:08:14 -0700

On 8-Jun-05, at 4:33 PM, Gordon Gilbert wrote:
Thanks for your help. I really appreciate what you've supplied me so far. Just let me get everything in order before I try this thing:

No problem. But please keep traffic on the mailist as well, since then other FreeBSD
users can read this info.

For lilypond, you need to download the source from the lilypond website. Unzip the source, then run that command.

So I look for "source" in the list of downloads?

Yes; specifically "lilypond devel source" -- it should be a number like 2.5.28
or 2.5.29.

Place in which directory (home is /u/gord; ports is in /usr/ports)

Any directory. I stick mine in $HOME/usr/src, but it could be $HOME/src,
or anywhere.

Then I run "tar -xzvf" to unzip?
Is that right so far?

If you download a .tar.gz file, then it's "tar -xzvf". If you get a .bz2 file,
then it's "tar -xjvf"

The command you then want me to run here is:

autoconf=autoconf259 MAKEINFO=/usr/local/bin/makeinfo ./autogen.sh \
--with-kpathsea-include=/usr/local/include/ --with-kpathsea-lib=/usr/local/lib/

Correct.

It will probably give you a bunch of errors, saying that it can't find various programs. Find those programs in /usr/ports and install them. When the ./autogen.sh command doesn't give you any errors,

When do I do the ./autogen.sh command?  (Or is that above?)

Yes. The big command above is really just ./autogen.sh with a bunch of extra
stuff thrown in.

Also, what directory should I be in?
And should I be root or gord?

The main lilypond dir. Let's say you download the source and stick it in ~/src. cd to ~/src, then "tar -x{z,j}vf " to unzip it. Now cd into that directory.
(ie ~/src/lilypond-2.5.29/ )

If you do "ls", you should see a bunch of files and directories, including
autogen.sh.  This is the place where you run that command.

do gmake all (wait an hour or so to finish) gmake install

I think I can figure that out, once I get to that point, but I don't want to wreck something on the way.

And after I'm done, to update all my .ly files, I can just run convert-ly [filename] [new filename] (or no new filename to return to same name)?

To update .ly files, I'd make a backup and then do "convert-ly -e filename". But let's
worry about compiling it first.  :)

Cheers,
- Graham