Re: writing chords

From: Carl D. Sorensen
Subject: Re: writing chords
Date: Tue, 12 May 2009 17:59:09 -0600

On 5/12/09 12:41 PM, "James E. Bailey" <address@hidden> wrote:

> I will be the first one to admit that I don't work with chords frequently. I'm
> also trying to understand them. I understand that I can enter c:7 and lilypond
> will recognise that I want to display c7, and display it accordingly. Since I
> wanted to make some changes to some of the defaults, I decided to make a
> little list of all the chords, and what is typed in order to get lilypond to
> display them. I've run into some chords that I don't know how to name
> properly, so I thought I would ask for help. I would like I know what I need
> to type in order to get these chords. Here is what I want, and what I've
> tried:

Have you read the section in the notation reference on chord notation

The reason I ask is that most of your chord notations do not comply with the
stated syntax rules.

Also, you should check out appendix B2 of the Notation Reference; it has
lots of these.

I'll write the way I'd code the chords up right after to your notes.
> \version "2.12.2"
> \paper { indent = #0 }
> \layout {\context {\Score \remove Bar_number_engraver} }
> \score {
>    \new ChordNames {
>       <c e g bes d' f' a'>
c:13.11 (in appendix B2)
>       \break
>       <c e g bes des' f' as'>
c:13-.9-.11 (assuming, of course that as is what I would normally call aes)
>       \break
>       <c e g bes des' f' a'>
>       \break
>       <c e g b d' f' a'>