Re: relative mode occasionally gets forgotten?

From: Anthony W. Youngman
Subject: Re: relative mode occasionally gets forgotten?
Date: Fri, 15 May 2009 18:03:43 +0100

In message <address@hidden>, Graham Percival <address@hidden> writes
On Fri, May 15, 2009 at 06:46:39AM -0600, Carl D. Sorensen wrote:

First, I think that the information above should be put into 1.1.1 Writing
Pitches as examples under Relative octave entry.  There should be three
separate items/examples:

When relative blocks are nested, the innermost relative block applies.

\relative c' { d e f \relative c'' { d e f}}

Woah, that's froody!  I would have never expected that!

Note:  I haven't tested any of these examples.

I tested the above, because I just couldn't believe it.  Anyway, I
agree with these proposals.

When I first saw Chip's example, my reaction was "why on earth would you want to do that?"

As I understand it, \relative converts from note names to absolute pitches. Pretty much everything else in lily works on pitches. In a .ly file you don't know, on seeing a "c", which c it is - middle, top, low, whatever. If it's wrapped in a \relative{}, that assigns a pitch to it. Anything else on seeing it assumes it's "c in the bass clef" as that's the pitch assigned to the note "c".

So, I don't know how to word it, but when you're talking about \relative in the manual it should say that you should only use \relative immediately around your note names because it converts note names to absolute pitches. If there's another operator inside your \relative (ie in Chip's case, a \transpose, in the example above an inner \relative) that forces absolute pitches, then the \relative will do nothing because it doesn't know what to do with a pitch.

Cheers,
Wol
--
Anthony W. Youngman - address@hidden