Re: website so close, and yet so far

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: website so close, and yet so far
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2009 14:43:53 +0000

On Thu, Oct 29, 2009 at 12:59 PM, Reinhold Kainhofer
<address@hidden> wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, 29. Oktober 2009 12:40:06 schrieb Graham Percival:
>> Umm... welcome to git from a month ago?
>> Documentation/index.html.in  was removed with prejudice a few
>> weeks ago.  If you're curious, I would encourage you to look
>> through the git history.
>
> Now, you have to
> 1) Go to the manuals page
> 2) look up the manual, which takes a few seconds, since a) their title is not
> bold, b) the same size as the other text and c) it is written in green, which
> makes even less contrast than the black text on the green background.
> Furthermore, there is so much other visual clutter on the page that looking
> for a manual name takes much longer now.
> 3) Once you have found your manual and click on it, there is another page
> describing the manual
> 4) On the manual page, you'll have to direct your attention to the right side
> and look for the format.
> 5) Click on the desired format, and you are finally there...
>
> So, "quickly" looking up something is not easily possible any more...

Good!  I mean, not good, but good that we found this problem.
Discovering things like this is precisely why I made the switch.

I'll look into this on the weekend.

> PS: The reason why I hadn't realized this until now is that I'm still using my
> AJAX search in the manuals http://kainhofer.com/~lilypond/ajax/, which I
> haven't rebased on current master, since so much happened in master since
> then). Any news on how we proceed with the AJAX search???

The news is that I spend an average of 2 hours on lilypond every day,
but routine tasks plus working on GUB occupies all that task.  It
doesn't make sense to stop working on GUB, since it took me ages to
get accustomed to its layout and now it's fresh in my mind.

If more people helped with the mundane tasks, I'd have more time to
complete GUB, work on the website, and then start looking at AJAX.  If
more people helped with the website, that would cross off that task,
and I could start looking at AJAZ sooner.  I'm not really going to ask
that people help with GUB, since that's a hugely complicated task
(solving a hugely complicated problem, so the complexity is
understandable).

I regret the continual delays in looking at AJAX, but I'm only willing
to spend so much time on lilypond.  And this is including my
almost-total lack of a social life... if I ever make any friends [in
this city], let alone finding a girlfriend, my lilypond work will drop
further.

We desperately need to get more people involved, but there's no point
starting GOP until we can support the new contributors, and that's not
happening until the CG and lilypond tk git gui thing is ready, and
that's not happening until somebody looks at it (and as far as I know,
absolutely no frogs have attempted to look at it), etc etc.  I'm
willing to look at those things myself, but those would jostle with
AJAX in terms of what I do after GUB and the new website are done.

*shrug*
if it sounds like I'm massively frustrated over this state of
affairs... well, yes, I am.

- Graham