Re: chord names with lowered bass

From: David Raleigh Arnold
Subject: Re: chord names with lowered bass
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2011 21:59:08 -0400

On Sunday, June 26, 2011 07:11:37 PM Tim McNamara wrote:
> On Jun 26, 2011, at 2:06 PM, Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:

> >> That's the way I use it as well.  But I'm totally familiar with
> >> this being C/E.  That's the only layout I've ever seen for this
> >> kind of notation.

Before 1960 or so C/E was called a polychord. C/Bb was equivalent
to a complete C11 chord. It was well understood, but very little
used, so as soon as the slash bass was invented it replaced the
polychord. Nevertheless, that is all the more reason to use C/e
for the slash bass, and reserve C/E for the rare polychord.
Regards, daveA

For beginners: very easy guitar music: solos, duets, exercises,
theory. Some solos are classical or finger style and others are
also of equal benefit to flat pickers (style free).

For all: One best scale set for all guitarists, plus essential
scales of chord tones (real arpeggios, as on all other
instruments), and chords (triads in inversions). And more.

For intermediate to professional players: Solos, hints, best
fingerings of standard works...