Running Lilypond from Debian in a virtual machine via Qemu

From: David Topham
Subject: Running Lilypond from Debian in a virtual machine via Qemu
Date: Sun, 2 Aug 2015 04:46:47 +0000 (UTC)

I have used Lilypond successfully on Windows quite a few times, and want
to try it in Linux. So I booted up a virtual machine using QEMU and
tried to compile the basic test example:

{
   c d e f
}

but to my surprise it dies after a few minutes with error:

preproccessing graphical objects...killed

I turned on the verbose flag and see that it is hanging on (loading?)

emmentaler-23

I used standard Debian installer (2.18.2) and reinstalled, then even
tried getting the install shell script from Lilypond 2.18.1

All seemed successful, but it fails

I watched the memory usage as it chugged away and saw that it ran out of
RAM (1GB) after a couple of minutes then gave up.

I tried adding (virtual) swap file of 2GB, but it used up all that
space, then same error message.

Any suggestions on how I can debug this?  What information would I need
to see why it hangs on that OTF font?