Re: difficulty getting quoteDuring to work in combination with transposi

From: Malte Meyn
Subject: Re: difficulty getting quoteDuring to work in combination with transposition
Date: Sun, 02 Aug 2015 10:34:32 +0200

Am 02.08.2015 um 06:05 schrieb user3871075:
Anyway, my use-case is I have a trumpet part that I want to quote into the
clarinet part.  Then I want to transpose the clarinet part to alto sax.
Per suggestions in the lilypond documentation I have all of my raw music
transposed into C so that it's easier to combine and then I transpose it to
the correct per-instrument notes in the score.

Hi,

I would suggest to never touch the transposition outside of the score. Then use \transpose to transpose each instrument’s own music and \transposition to adjust the quoted music:

%%%%%%%%

\version "2.18.2"

trumpetNotes = \relative c'' {
  c4 c c c
}
\addQuote "trumpet" \trumpetNotes

clarinetNotes = \relative c'' {
  g4
  \quoteDuring #"trumpet" { s }
  g g |
}

altoSaxNotes = \clarinetNotes

<<
  \new Staff \with {
    instrumentName = "trumpet"
  } \transpose bes c' {
    \transposition bes
    \trumpetNotes
  }
  \new Staff \with {
    instrumentName = "clarinet"
  } \transpose bes c' {
    \transposition bes
    \clarinetNotes
  }
  \new Staff \with {
    instrumentName = "alto sax"
  } \transpose ees c' {
    \transposition ees
    \altoSaxNotes
  }

%%%%%%%%

Three off-topic comments:

1. You used bar checks where no bar line should be. Are you sure you’ve understood them correctly?

2. Trumpets transpose a second down, not a seventh up; alto saxophones transpose a sixth down, not a third up. You need to make sure you have correct octave marks when using \transpose and \transposition (the latter always is relative to c').

3. You can leave out the # (and even the "" if it’s no problem for your syntax hilighting) in \quoteDuring #"trumpet" at least in version 2.19; but I think that this is already possible in 2.18 and perhaps earlier versions.