Re: how to get notes without tails?

From: Blöchl Bernhard
Subject: Re: how to get notes without tails?
Date: Sun, 30 Aug 2015 20:56:16 +0200

Am 30.08.2015 19:53, schrieb Simon Albrecht:
Am 30.08.2015 um 18:39 schrieb BB:

On 30.08.2015 16:47, Malte Meyn wrote:
Am 30.08.2015 um 16:20 schrieb BB:
I actually do some work with arabic scales (maqamat) and would like
notes without tails. Is there any switch in lilypond?

(As example see http://maqamworld.com/maqamat/bayati.html)

The ‘tails’ you probably mean are called stems. You can remove them:

\omit Stem

Thank you for helping!

Indeed I meant "stem". Concerning to dict.cc (almost always correct) "tail" is also in use.

Maybe in some very specific (paleographic?) context? In general
they’re definitely always called Stems. We also have a LilyPond
Glossary (found on the manuals page), which might be more reliable
when it comes to specific notational terminology.

Yours, Simon

Well, the glossary is a nice hint. But have you considered that the glossary is only available in English? So that a not anglophone could not find an expression she/he does not know! (Just the case for me.)

It could help, if there is a parallel glossary in another mothertongue. This is not the case, as there is only an English version - AFAIK. Do you really think, a non English speaker will find a word in an English glossary one does not know?

Beside all that, language is a malleable like Plasticine, that is true especially for English, as everybody must speak English, even if one does not know it (just my case). That is the price of the English for the "lingua franca" of our days! But obviously there are musical sectors that use "tail" instead of "stem" - would you say it is absolutely wrong or really incomprehensible? Realize that measure and bar mean the same in different (english speaking) areas of our world.

I do not have any problems with this, just a feed to think about.

And to add a remark: Would be nice to have a gerrman lilipond glossary.

Kind regards