Re: feathered beam calculations

From: Reggie
Subject: Re: feathered beam calculations
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2018 10:56:55 -0700 (MST)

Michael Gerdau wrote
>> I understand your math now but I do not understand how you began to know
>> how
>> to use math from the beginning. How did you determine which note NEEDED
>> the
>> math to it? Is there a sort of study sheet where we can look to find out
>> which notes need math for each time we use?
>
> I'm not sure what you are after and maybe what follows is as obvious to
> you as it is to me, but in case it isn't here I go:
>
> For easier reference I'll repost one of Harm's examples:
> \relative d {
>   \clef bass
>   \override Beam.grow-direction = #RIGHT
>   \featherDurations #(ly:make-moment 3/4)
>   c16*4/3[ d e]
>   c32*2*4/3[ d e]
>   c64*4*4/3[ d e]
>   c128*8*4/3[ d e] |
>   \revert Beam.grow-direction
>   cis1 |
> }
>
> c16/c32/64/128 means 2/3/4/5 feathers respectively
>
> Each group is expected to last one quarter note which is denoted by "4".
> Since we start with a 1/16th we have to mutliply by 4 to get back to 4.
> There are 3 notes in each group which means we add the notelength 3 times
> which is another way of saying we multiply by 3. Hence we have to divide
> by 3 to make the whole group 1/4 note in length again.
>
> A very similar argument goes for c32 (*2 == c16), c64 (*4 == c16) and c128
> (*8 == c16).
>
> If you were looking for something else when you asked for the math then
> please be more specific.
>
> Kind regards,
> Michael
> --
> Michael Gerdau email:

> mgd@

> GPG-keys available on request or at public keyserver

Michael thank you. That helps in addition.
However my question remains. Please here me.

How does one  calculate the extra numbers needing to be for the spacing OUT
of notes as the feather speed up slow down. They always look spaced tight
together as real notes just beamed differently.  When you engrave a feather
beam measure should youy first figure out how many notes you want (or stems)
in the feathers or begin by finding how many beats they all should take up?
I cannot find this out anywhere. And finally how to ensure always the
spacing out of notes automatically according to the slow down speed up ramp
of feathers. Thank you.