lmi

RE: [lmi] help with orphan-control in xsl-fo

From: Boutin, Wendy
Subject: RE: [lmi] help with orphan-control in xsl-fo
Date: Fri, 15 May 2009 16:48:16 -0400

Vaclav Slavik wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-04-22 at 18:05 -0400, Wendy Boutin wrote:
> > and found these comments:
> >   <!--
> >   Ensure that a group of 5 rows is never split across multiple
pages.
> >   Add a dummy cell, that spans 5 rows. Since FOP avoids breaking
cells,
> >   this cell remains on one page, so will the group of 5 rows.
> >   -->
> > in 'fo_common.xsl', but we just don't know enough about xsl
> > to see how to fix the problem the right way.
>
> XSL-FO has dedicated keep-with-next and keep-with-previous properties
> [1] that can be used to implement this grouping cleanly, as is done in
> this patch:
[...]
> Unfortunately, even though Apache FOP has limited support for these
> properties [2], it doesn't seem to implement keep-with-next correctly
in
> the 0.20.5 release we use. Upgrading to 0.95 (or even 0.93, which is
> what I have installed on my workstation) helps and the stylesheet
> produces results that are as far as I can tell correct.

It fixes the collision of column values and footer text, but it caused
a grave problem for reg_d_individual.xsl and text in other *.xsl files
to change regressively. For the most grave example:

cd /opt/lmi/data
cp reg_d_individual.xsl illustration_reg.xsl

cd /opt/lmi/bin
./lmi_cli_shared \
  --accept \
  --cnsfile=/opt/lmi/src/lmi/sample.cns \
  --data_path=/opt/lmi/data \
  --emit=emit_pdf_file \
  2>&1 |less

To see the text that's moved to its own page:

cd /opt/lmi/data
cp nasd.xsl illustration_reg.xsl

cd /opt/lmi/bin
./lmi_cli_shared \
  --accept \
  --cnsfile=/opt/lmi/src/lmi/sample.cns \
  --data_path=/opt/lmi/data \
  --emit=emit_pdf_file \
  2>&1 |less

I now see the last two lines of the 'Premium Outlay' definition (it's
located about halfway through the output) are printed as two lonely
lines on the next page (besides the usual headers and footers). That's
just one example. I see similar instances in other formats, too.

I also observe the number of rows is not consistently thirty throughout
all pages. I realize that was more of a "nice to have" request, but the
upgrade doesn't help the inconsistency.

> To be precise, no 5-rows groups are page boundaries anymore (the cell
> hack used previously didn't prevent this with FOP 0.93) and there are
no
> text overlaps, even though cells' text can touch footer text (missing
> padding for the footer?).

Could you please show me more precisely where I would add that padding?
I can't see the where it belongs in neither 'fo_common.xsl' nor
'nasd.xsl'.

This e-mail transmission may contain information that is
proprietary, privileged and/or confidential and is
intended exclusively for the person(s) to whom it is
addressed. Any use, copying, retention or disclosure by
any person other than the intended recipient or the
intended recipient's designees is strictly prohibited. If
you are not the intended recipient or their designee,
please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail and
delete all copies.