lmi

Re: wx-2.9.0 messagebox scrolling [Was: [lmi] help with orphan-control i

From: Greg Chicares
Subject: Re: wx-2.9.0 messagebox scrolling [Was: [lmi] help with orphan-control in xsl-fo]
Date: Tue, 19 May 2009 15:04:49 +0000

On 2009-05-18 15:47Z, Greg Chicares wrote:
> On 2009-05-18 14:31Z, Vadim Zeitlin wrote:
>> On Sun, 17 May 2009 14:42:19 +0000 Greg Chicares <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>> GC> I see no vertical scrollbar in this messagebox, with release candidate
>> three.
>>
>>  How strange, I really don't see why shouldn't it work for you and it
>> definitely does work here: I just tested it by running the dialogs sample,
>> pressing Ctrl-Shift-M to bring up the message box testing dialog box and
>> pasting in it the full contents, including headers, of your email: this
>> made it to tall for my display resolution and the scrollbar was shown.
>>
>>  Is there some simpler way to reproduce this problem in LMI without using
>> FOP?
>
> Assuming you've got plenty of files in /bin but no zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz command:
>
>   Test | Test system command
>   ls /bin && zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Sorry, false alarm. An exception with a really long what() is thrown,
and then caught via report_exception(), which somewhat conservatively
calls safely_show_message() to report it using a native messagebox.
If I experimentally replace that with wxMessageBox(), then a scrollbar
does appear. I don't want to put that change into production, though:
the extra safety of safely_show_message() may be crucial in some case,
and I haven't time to prove otherwise.

Generally, the best way to spend our limited resources on error messages
is not to worry about their format, but to remove the problem from which
they arise--which is exactly our plan for xsl-fo.