[Ltib] Parallel builds problem with net-snmp

From: Andrea Galbusera
Subject: [Ltib] Parallel builds problem with net-snmp
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2010 09:54:31 +0100

Hi ltib folks,
I report this because someone else may save some time if facing a
similar build failure.

I'm having problems while building net-snmp package with ltib. After
having a similar issue on a custom package recently added to my ltib
configuration, my suspects quickly turned to parallel build. Similar
issues were reported on the list for other packages, since current
savannah ltib version enable parallel builds by default (%MAKEFLAGS set
to "-j 8" in .ltibrc). I'm building on Ubuntu 8.10 on dual-core. See
this thread [1] on the mailing list as an example.

After some googleing I met other users reporting parallel builds problem
with net-snmp also on MacOSX. See [3] for reference.

Here it comes my question as an ltib user. What would be the best
approach to "make it better"? At moment I changed net-snmp .spec file
adding -j1 in every call to make: would it be worth submitting this
change? I'd like not to change the default for %MAKEFLAGS since I
believe this problem must be fixed upstream, but I have no idea how.
Have anybody out there valuable suggestions or, maybe, pointers to
documentation on how to handle this kind of "races" in makefiles? This
is of particular interest to me since I have to fix also a bounce of
makefile of mine that raise the problem!

I'd appreciate any suggestion from you gurus!
Best regards,
Andrea

[1] http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/ltib/2009-10/msg00031.html
[2]