lwip-devel

Re: [lwip-devel] LWIP and LWIPv6 projects

From: Kieran Mansley
Subject: Re: [lwip-devel] LWIP and LWIPv6 projects
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2010 20:09:20 +0000

On 18 Nov 2010, at 19:26, address@hidden wrote:

> I haven't had a look at the LWIPv6 sources yet, but given Ivan's current
> efforts on lwIP + IPv6, it might be worth checking if we could share lwIP's
> core code, wouldn't it?

That's effectively how it is now, with LWIPv6 using lwIP at its core, with a
set of changes to add support for IPV6, and then further applications and
higher layer protocols added.

> Given the documentation, the main difference should be additional protocols
> and API functions. If it's like that, it might make sense to cooperate on
> part of the code...

I think we're mostly agreeing: I'm happy for LWIPv6 to use lwIP, and the work
to add IPv6 support to lwIP will I hope make that easier.  However the approach
that Ivan's taking will be, I think, different in the way that IPv6 support is
implemented because of the goal of remaining lightweight (e.g. the way that
IPv4 addresses are handled); we couldn't just pull LWIPv6's implementation into
lwIP instead.

If there are API changes that LWIPv6 needs from lwIP then again that should be
OK in the same way that we try and improve lwIP's APIs with suggestions from
all the other users.

Kieran