lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] LPC2468+lwIP+FreeRTOS+GCC

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] LPC2468+lwIP+FreeRTOS+GCC
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2008 19:59:45 +0100

Replying to the list since that will bring you far more responses...

HM2 wrote:
I'd like to question the significance of the statement "never seen lwIP
work on an ARM7"... If it has a C compiler, it runs!
A lot of people have had problems getting it to run in the LPC2000 forum.  I
don't know if he was thinking of LPC ARM7 when he said that, or any ARM7.
That suggest the port they use isn't complete, I guess.
Of course you need someone to write an OS/platform port (unless you want
to do it yourself), but apart from that, there's no reason I can think
of that lwIP wouldn't run on an ARM7!
There is some Keil code floating around that has the EMAC port for the
LPC24XX.  But peope are still having problems getting it to work.
I'm not speaking of EMAC support but of mainly cc.h (and sys_arch.h/.c if you want to use sockets or netcon API), which adapts lwIP to your compiler and OS.
I've only been working with 1.30.  As I recalled there were quite a few
structs, compiler directives, etc that would not compile without tweaking.
Even after I got it to compile, there was still a large number of warnings:
type casts, pointers, alignments, etc.  Unsure if any of those may actually
cause real code errors.
- struct, compilers and warnings:
maybe you are missing the correct cc.h and lwipopts.h files?
- type casts:
I think I remember getting these warnings when compiling lwIP with g++, not gcc?
- pointers:
which warnings?
- alignment:
Since you say ping doesn't work and others have problems too, it could be that structure packing doesn't work (defined in cc.h). On the other hand, lwIP takes care of alignment itself, therefore some warnings might be generated by the compiler that aren't severe (I myself think this could be solved better in a way to integrate the compiler's warnings, ideas are welcome).
I got my code to compile, but no pings.  Someone else got the code to
compile too, but his goes into the weeds trying to handle packets.  He spent
days trying to trace out the cause of the problem, but finally had to drop
it to do other work.
I don't know who 'someone else' is but lwIP itself is not end-user-ready code: as I said above, you need someone to write a port (files see above) or you need the time and will to do it yourself. Maybe you can work together with 'someone else' and get a working port that you and the others can share. Updating a port for an older version of lwIP should be easier than creating a new one.

As I said in the previous mail: Reference ports for unix/linux and win32 are available for download.
So far the only one that has lwIP working on the LPC2468 that responded on
this lwIP mail list is eCOS,  ... and they want $$$$.
I don't know whether Jifl's employer want $$$$ or simply $, but they have to live on something: after all, one of their employers contributes to this software 'for free'!

Simon