lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV frames/noframes and lynx on the web

From: Philip Webb
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV frames/noframes and lynx on the web
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 1997 22:57:33 -0400 (EDT)

970813 various people have been reporting:
> > >   There was recently some discussion of the tendency of HTML authors and
> > > packages to put unfriendly "upgrade your browser to mine" messages in the
> > > <NOFRAMES> section of a frames page. Well, on the other side of the coin,
> > > I found a very friendly page at this URL. It made my day to see it and I
> > > thought I would share it with you.

 2 weeks ago  i had a similar experience with New Scientist (UK) --
 www.newscientist.com  -- , which has started presenting its news index
on a page using frames, quite unnecessarily as far as i can see;
maybe they're using some sort of pre-packaged package to autowrite it.
i told their site manager, but have had no reply:
i emphasised that Lynx 2-7 does handle frames
& that they are doing a serious disservice to blind readers of NS (not me).

perhaps others would like to send suitably firm but friendly comments
to New Scientist as well?

970813 someone very kindly posted this:
>    FRAME: NAV
>    FRAME: RIGHT
>
>                            This site requires frames
>
>    If you wish to shop here you'll need to be using a browser that
>    supports frames.
>
>    We've tested this site using:
>      * Netscape Navigator(3.x and 4.x) which you can download here.
>      * Lynx 2.7, with which you can download a binary for almost any
>        platform (most popular Unixes and unpopular ones, too, VMS, DOS,
>        Win32 and even a beta of a Macintosh version) or you can download
>        the source code and compile and install it yourself.
>      * Microsoft's Internet Explorer (version 3 or better) ....

this is JUST what we should be encouraging people to do.

;