lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV unworkable ftp URLs

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV unworkable ftp URLs
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 1998 10:29:39 +0000 (GMT)

> ftp://mp3:address@hidden/humorous/(unknown_-12_pains_of_christmas.mp3

With that URL, I wouldn't expect a very reliable service.  You have
someone with no domain name and using a named account, not anonymous ftp.
This may well be an unauthorised server; it may well be in violation of
site policies on releasing passwords (if you can create a new account
to avoid compromising passwords, it should be as easy to create an
anonymous ftp server).  The server may well have been shut down by the
local computing services department.  It's also possible (I'd go as far
as saying probable) that the site firewall is blocking incoming ftps to
that address.

To debug it, you should use a command line ftp program.  Remember that you
want to do:

  ftp 128.61.74.20

then respond mp3 to both user and password prompts.

> The result of an attempt is normally that Lynx will give the "making FTP
> request" message and wait for a very long time before giving the "unable
> to access document" message.  This inability effects both the UNIX

That would be consistent with a firewall configured to drop ftp packets
without returning an ICMP xxx unreachable response.