lynx-dev

LYNX-DEV re:lynx for win3.x

From: Michael Sokolov
Subject: LYNX-DEV re:lynx for win3.x
Date: Sun, 5 Apr 1998 03:36:02 -0400 (EDT)

   address@hidden wrote:
> >Note how I am treating Windows as an app above. If this sounds strange
> >to you, read the following over and over until you digest it: WINDOWS IS
> >NOT AN OPERATING SYSTEM OR EVEN AN OPERATING ENVIRONMENT. IT IS AN
> >_APP_, JUST LIKE A WORD PROCESSOR, A SPREADSHEET, OR A WWW BROWSER.
>
> I think you are referring to the fact that Win 3.0 and prior was
> available to developers as a `runtime environment' that could be
> distributed with their apps. In other words, from the DOS prompt, you
> typed `win yourapp.exe' and, lo, your app ran, even though the runtime
> Windows would not run by itself.

   I am not surprised that you have misunderstood me completely. OF COURSE
that is not what I have mean! What I have meant is the following. Suppose
you have a copy of MS Word (as opposed to WinWord). If you type "WORD" at
the "C:\" prompt, you run MS Word. If you type "WIN" at the "C:\" prompt,
you run MS Windows. Both are apps. They are no different from each other.
Get it this time? Probably not. Oh well.

   (OK, the above is an approximation. To make it exact, replace "WIN" with
"C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KRNL386". Explaining this fully goes beyond the scope of
this short and simple response.)

> The fact remains that win32s is quite capable of running most apps like
> lynx, once they are compiled in large model.

   But why Win32s? Why not make Lynx a DOS app just like MS Word? Windows
users would be able to run it in a DOS box just like MS Word or any other
DOS app.

> (You do remember large model code, don't you?)

   Whaddayamean "remember"?!?! Each time I open a new project I am asked to
choose between Small, Medium, Compact, Large, and Huge memory models! So
far I have never had a need to use anything other than Small or Medium, but
there is nothing preventing me from using Large or Huge if necessary. Why
can't you just get it: people ARE writing 16-bit apps for real-mode DOS,
protected-mode DOS, OS/2 v1.xx, and Win16! Just because you are stuck with
your 32-bit GNU bloatware doesn't mean that the rest of us have to give up
our good, fast, reliable, and compact 16-bit Microsoft compilers!

> Out of loyalty to Der Fuehrer in Richmond?

   I assume you have meant Redmond, haven't you?

   Sincerely,
   Michael Sokolov
   Phone: 440-449-0299
   ARPA Internet SMTP mail: address@hidden