lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev gettext() question #2

From: Kari E. Hurtta
Subject: Re: lynx-dev gettext() question #2
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 1998 15:19:44 +0200 (EET)

Leonid Pauzner:
> >> At the risk of getting flamed (wouldn't be the first time :), shouldn't
> >> these questions be going to the gettext mailing list?
>

> > Nope.  Lynx is using gettext; gettext isn't using lynx.
>
> > My question was meant to provoke some thought.  Specifically, will it be
> > possible to change, on the fly, what language gettext is using.  And if so,
> > consider adding that to the user interface somehow.
>
> > Again, referring to my original reason for proprosing such an ability:
> > public access lynx where the admin might be interested in providing
> > multiple languages for the users.
>
> There is another problem possible:
> gettext() support based on language, not character set (usually iso-8859-1).
> Lynx support a list of character sets, so a person using cpXXX display
> will be confused... Display charset generally independent from LOCALE,
> assuming a person start lynx from the remote terminal.

$LANG includes implicity character set, because it specifies
also LC_CTYPE locale.

So if user is using some remote terminal, he needs adjust
$LANG also to get other programs (than lynx) to work correctly.

Some systems there is several possible $LANG values for same
language (which just differ by used caharacter-set). For example:

en_US
en_US.ISO8859-1

It may make do sense to map $LANG (or result of setlocale(LC_CTYPE,NULL)
actually) to character set with some (OS dependent) mapping table.

/ Kari Hurtta