lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev gettext() question #2

From: Leonid Pauzner
Subject: Re: lynx-dev gettext() question #2
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 1998 19:51:52 +0300 (MSK)

>> There is another problem possible:
>> gettext() support based on language, not character set (usually iso-8859-1).
>> Lynx support a list of character sets, so a person using cpXXX display
>> will be confused... Display charset generally independent from LOCALE,
>> assuming a person start lynx from the remote terminal.

> $LANG includes implicity character set, because it specifies
> also LC_CTYPE locale.

not always, but should to.

> So if user is using some remote terminal, he needs adjust
> $LANG also to get other programs (than lynx) to work correctly.

> Some systems there is several possible $LANG values for same
> language (which just differ by used caharacter-set). For example:

> en_US
> en_US.ISO8859-1

> It may make do sense to map $LANG (or result of setlocale(LC_CTYPE,NULL)
> actually) to character set with some (OS dependent) mapping table.

probably Yes.
It was proposed just before the releasing 2.8,
concerning case-insensitive search, but nobody
have contributed the mapping table (we find another workaround).

I personaly use PC (cp866 for display charset) and the remote terminal
running lynx have LOCALE at "ru_RU.KOI8-R" what should lynx do here?
Probably set language support only if locale match display charset?