lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Vlad's report - lss glitches

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Vlad's report - lss glitches
Date: Sun, 7 Mar 1999 06:28:19 -0600 (CST)

On Fri, 5 Mar 1999, Vlad Harchev wrote:

>   When unhighlighting highlighted links that contain some extra formatting,
>   lynx-2.8.2dev12 and lynx-2.8 draw them incorrectly ( compared to
>   the way the were  drawn before becoming highlighted first time)  when
>   compiled with lss support (at least - I didn't check lynx compiled
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>   without lss). Here is an example of such html (highlight and unhighlight
>   2 last links to see what I mean).

> <HTML><HEAD><TITLE>e</TITLE></HEAD>
> <BODY LANG="EN">
>  <A NAME="tex2html11" HREF="node1.html">
You have an <A> here that's never closed.

> <UL>
> <LI> <A NAME="tex2html36" HREF="node23.html">IPC Identifiers</A>
> <LI> <A NAME="tex2html37" HREF="node24.html">IPC Keys</A>
> <LI> <A NAME="tex2html38" HREF="node25.html">The <TT>ipcs</TT> Command</A>
> <LI> <A NAME="tex2html39" HREF="node26.html">The <TT>ipcrm</TT> Command</A>
> </UL></BODY></HTML>

It's time to remind people that the Color Style (lss) support in Lynx is
EXPERIMENTAL and UNSUPPORTED.  It there are too few exclamation marks in
the documentation stressing this, I'm sure that can be fixed. :)

Yes, what you describe is the case, and there are many other display
glitches with the Color Style code.  That's the price you pay for using
it.

The Color Style code was never supported by the original author (Rob
Partington), especially not after it was integrated into the
"mainstream" lynx code.  I seem to be the person who has done most
tweaks of the code to make it work somewhat - together with Tom for
the curses-display related and some memory aspects - which amounted to
a lot of reverse engineering without useful comments.  But there are
no plans to systematically improve or revise the code afaik - it is
provided on the basis of "if it works for you, fine."  If someone
wants to work on the code, I can try to point them to the right
places, that's all.

    Klaus