lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Vlad's suggestions

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Vlad's suggestions
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 1999 08:29:16 +0000 (GMT)

> On Sun, Mar 07, 1999 at 10:42:38AM +0000, David Woolley wrote:
> >
> > <b> & <i> involve a change of font from normal to bold or italic, which
> > in general causes a change in character widths, so they are incompatible
> > with <pre>
>
>                                                                     As far
> as I can tell, these tags aren't forbidden in the HTML specification.  As

My mistake.

> long as the browser authors make sure all fonts used inside a preformatted
> block are the same width, there should be no problem.  If they don't do

FONT is most certainly forbidden - make sure you use the transitional
DTD, if using the HTML 4.0 spec, as the main text and the strict DTD don't
allow FONT anywhere, so can't include it in a list of forbidden elements.

> Another thing that isn't forbidden, but lynx doesn't do properly in
> my opinion, is <CENTER> or <DIV>.  Now you may think that centering

As pointed out elsewhere, this is block level, but PRE can only contain
inline level.  I missed this general exclusion from a previous reply and
only gave the specific additional exclusions.