Re: lynx-dev Lynx, colors and VT100

From: Ismael Cordeiro
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Lynx, colors and VT100
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 1999 09:22:54 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 19 Apr 1999 address@hidden wrote:

> > > then a "vt100 emulator" cannot support color, because it is no longer
> > > a vt100 emulator.
> >
> > `A la lettre, you're right but they are VT100 emulators _and_ support
> > color.
> One thing that matters is that not only must the "emulator" support color,
> but curses must support generating the color escape sequences for that
> emulator, which means in turn that the termcap/terminfo for that TERM type
> must define those color escape sequences. This is likely not to be under
> the control of the "emulator" author.

Exactly. That's why I put the color capabilities in the VT100 definition of
my .termcap/.terminfo. However, some programs, like tin-pre1.4, can send
color codes even if the terminal definition doesn't have color capabilities.
If you set "use_color=on" in tinrc, tin-pre1.4 will send ANSI color codes to
the terminal independently of termcap/terminfo definitions. It's up to the
user to see whether the color codes work on their terminals or not. If they
don't work, one has just to set "use_color=off".

       | ISMAEL CORDEIRO            | mailto:address@hidden      |
       | Production sound mixer     | |
       | Montréal - Québec - Canada | |