lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev INSTALLATION file changes (was: Fix --disable-trace, #inclu

From: Henry Nelson
Subject: Re: lynx-dev INSTALLATION file changes (was: Fix --disable-trace, #includes)
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 1999 11:47:51 +0900 (JST)

                                     ^^^^^^
This "should" will definitely go.

> But anyway, as things are currently it should be at least recommended
> that people SHOULD look at userdefs.h, especially if they install lynx
> for the first time (and are therefore most likely to read INSTALLATION).

Excellent point.  This makes me reconsider my previous reply.

> be made that after setting up everything as wanted in userdefs.h, the
> runtime lynx.cfg can then be shortened to near-nothing.

I'd like to see this comment in lynx.cfg and/or userdefs.h.  I'd rather
have "veterans" doing this.  One problem I have with the "new" Lynx is
that you have to "trick" configure now so that it doesn't install that
90kB distribution lynx.cfg automatically on your system.  Giving all
those hints in INSTALLATION is more than I can do, as much as I hate
leaving installers in the dark about what Lynx has in store for them.
As it stands now, if you only edit lynx.cfg without deleting the text
and unneeded defines, 180kB gets installed!

> I find that last one definitely too short - even people who "use only
[...]
> Your first variant doesn't take care of French, German, etc. users

French, German, etc. users are smart enough to know when to skip things.
The patsy stuff is mostly for Americans :)

> It also doesn't explicitly mention local files - they should be
> mentioned since practically no DOS systems are set up for ISO-8859-1
> (whether English-language or not).
>
> I think the conditions SHOULD look a bit scary...

Anyway, thanks.  At least now I have a better understanding of why that
parenthetical information has to be so long.

__Henry