lynx-dev

lynx-dev directories & folders

From: Philip Webb
Subject: lynx-dev directories & folders
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 1999 01:12:56 -0400 (EDT)

990425 Chuck Martin wrote:
> 990425 David Combs wrote:
>> What vocab should we be using in lynx doc?  "Folder", or "directory"?
> even before telephones existed, directories did.

this is drifting off-topic, but DC's basic thought is re Lynx.
OED gives (with first known use in each sense):

  1. Something that serves to direct; a guide;
     esp. a book of rules or directions.

  1543 J. Harrison: Man of Synne: title-p.,
  An alphabetycall dyrectorye or Table also in the ende therof.

  3a. A book containing one or more alphabetical lists of the inhabitants
  of any locality, with their addresses and occupations;
  also a similar compilation of the members of a particular profession,
  trade or association, as a Clerical or Medical Directory etc.

  1732 J. Brown: The Directory, or List of Principal Traders in London.

  3b. = telephone directory

  1908 Daily Chron. 21 Sept. 4/6
  Daily reports of all new and changed names for the Directory
  are forwarded to this department.

OED does not know `directory' w/r/t computers or `subdirectory' in any sense.

  h. A folding case or cover for loose papers.
  1911 H. S. Harrison Queed 329
  West went to a filing cabinet, pulled out a large folder marked Reformatory.

anyway, `directory' seems the proper term, `folder' a popularisation.