lynx-dev Avoiding redirects (was: dev.24 Archive link runaround)

From: Webmaster Jim
Subject: lynx-dev Avoiding redirects (was: dev.24 Archive link runaround)
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 1999 13:19:04 -0400

On Mon, Apr 26, 1999 at 12:51:02PM -0400, Philip Webb wrote:
> 990426 Larry Virden wrote:
> > 990425 Philip Webb wrote:
> >> please show me a case of  2  URLs which differ only in a final  /
> >  and
> well yes, what you get from them is different,

This can be distilled to a bandwidth conversation issue, which Lynx
users and developers can understand. Asking for a directory without
the trailing slash will cause the server in many cases to generate a
redirection. Lynx then asks the server for the correct URL. Using the
correct URL yourself cuts down on extra network traffic and server

Marvin the Paranoid Android says:
Pausing to reconstruct the whole infrastructure of integral
mathematics in his head, he went about his humble task, never
thinking to ask for reward, recognition or even a moments ease
from the pain in all the diodes down his left side...