lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Jeez now I've started a non-Lynx discussion

From: David Combs
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Jeez now I've started a non-Lynx discussion
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 1999 17:57:07 -0700

On Sun, Apr 25, 1999 at 11:32:31PM -0400, Chuck Martin wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 25, 1999 at 07:33:58PM -0700, address@hidden wrote:
>
> > be nice.  It seems obvious to me that if I give a directory to 'rm', I mean
> > that I want to delete the directory and its contents.  Since any sane person
> > has -i on by default, it won't lead to accidents either.)
>
> I won't argue the point that I'm not entirely sane :-)  but I'd be
> annoyed by all the extra prompting I'd get with the -i flag, especially
> when deleting multiple files.  Yes, I know I could use -f, but I don't
> see how it's any more difficult to type "rm -r" than "rm -f", and not
> using -i has never caused me any problems.

<snip>

Well, "\rm" ignores the alias-lookup.

Myself, when I want to remove a whole bunch of files,
instead of "rm *.foo foo.* `cat t.nam`" etc,
and getting it into the history-list (csh) where an
inadvertent "!?rm" could really screw me, I do:

  mv (all that stuff above) todelete/todelete/todelete

   (three deep, so a .* doesn't get a ".." that can hurt :-(  )

and then cd there, ls -sF, look at that for a while,
and THEN "sh", pwd, ls -lsAt (just to make sure), and
FINALLY rm *.

"rm" is really scary, at least to me.

At least with the sh, it doesn't end up on the csh history list.

David