lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev changing the installed lynx's directory layout

From: Vlad Harchev
Subject: Re: lynx-dev changing the installed lynx's directory layout
Date: Sun, 2 May 1999 12:49:53 +0500 (SAMST)

On Wed, 5 May 1999, Klaus Weide wrote:

> On Sun, 2 May 1999, Vlad Harchev wrote:
>
> > And what do you think about lynx directory approach?
>
> I have no strong opinions on that.  Yor proposed change seemed
> simple enough, OTOH I think I haven't seen a good argument that the
> current locations are bad.

 For PRESENT-DAY lynx, current locations are not bad (I mean only
$(prefix)/lynx_help, not various mailcap files). But as the name of this
directory states, it's only for help files. IMO, FUTURE versions of lynx will
install not only help files under $(prefix), so anyway we will have to
choices:
1) start a new directory $(prefix)/lynx and put everything there
2) don't install any useful files, thus reducing functionality of lynx.
 IMO 1) is more preferable.
 Since 2.8.2 will be released soon, we can start preparing users for new
directory layout with 2.8.2, not with 2.8.3.

>[...]

 Best regards,
  -Vlad