Re: lynx-dev Emacs + UTF-8 + Lynx

From: Sergei Pokrovsky
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Emacs + UTF-8 + Lynx
Date: 27 May 2000 15:17:03 +0700

  Thomas> I put together a crude version of Unicode support for
  Thomas> ncurses last week, which I (or any interested person) may
  Thomas> use to test an integrated variation of UTF-8 support.
Well, I've installed both xterm and ncurses from your Web page.  There
is a great improvement.

The Lynx presentation within Emacs is almost ideal now.  The only
slight defect is the ragged background: if I specify for Emacs a
non-white background, every line that contains multibyte characters
becomes that much shorter; and as I normally prefer the black
background, I see a black comb at the right side of the white Lynx
screen.  That's ugly but tolerable (of course if I select a white
background in the Emacs settings the two backgrounds become
indistinguishable; but I'd rather prefer to be able to have dark
background color pattern in Lynx as I can have it in Emacs, and an
easy way to commute among them).

The situation is worse with the stand-alone xterm.

After I've installed xterm, I've got a nice colored display, which
rendered most of UTF-8 almost correctly when called with -u8 (except
for the 0x80 bit bytes mentioned earlier).

Than I've installed the ncurses, having supplied the ./configure
script with --enable-widec (maybe that was an error?).

Now the Unicode characters are rendered better in xterm -u8, the
Russian small R no longer misbehaves, I do see em-dash.

1) The fi ligature is rendered as a box in the anchors (see the anchor
   "Bibliografiaj referencoj" in the next to last line of
   <>: it is
   rendered as "Bibliogra[]aj referencoj" in xterm, but as the
   expected "Bibliografiaj referencoj" in Emacs Lynx).  The same
   problem in the line

                      E, F, G, Ĝ, H, Ĥ, I, J, Ĵ

   where the anchor Ĥ is rendered as | (the Latin-1 equivalent of the
   same letter from Latin-3?).  In the plain text that letter is rendered
   as expected, e.g.

2) Lynx has lost the colors.

All that isn't very important for me, as it is much more convenient to
launch Lynx within Emacs and enjoy its advantages (like copy-paste to
and from the Lynx buffer, some more familiar keys etc).  But maybe it
would help in debugging process.