mailman

Re: Missing emails

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: Missing emails
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2014 01:03:11 -0600

Ervin Hegedüs wrote:
> Now I'm puzzled... I don't know, how can I refer at Google... May
> be I'll switch to an another address :)

I am coming late to this conversation but I think I see the problem.

> I think there isn't any way - as you described, there is a
> message in log from Google, it accepted the mail.

> I've posted an e-mail (twice) to Tlf mailing list at last
> saturday, but I didn't get them still. Here is the mailing list

By default Google's Gmail does not show you your own emails.  This is
surprising to me but note that I don't use Gmail so don't expect me to
defend it.  I briefly tried to find the Google FAQ entry on it but was
not successful.

Hard to describe Gmail since it uses tags and not folders but let me
try anyway.

Google tags your outgoing email with the sent tag only even if you
yourself was on the recipient list.  That part seems wrong to me.  It
will be seen in your outgoing "sent" tag only and not in your "inbox"
tagged messages.  The reasoning is that you wrote it so already saw it
and Google does not show it to you again.  This has been reported
often but Google has refused to change it.

If someone replies to your message the reply will be tagged as "inbox"
and it will show up in your inbox.  Since it is a reply to your
message into the inbox too.  This causes a strange behavior.  You
don't have your own messages to mailing lists in your inbox until
someone replies to your message and then you do.

So I must ask if you are seeing other people's postings to the mailing
list.  If so then things are working correctly.  Has anyone else
replied to one of your messages?  If so then that should drag your
message in too but not before.

Again I am not using Gmail so this is mostly academic knowledge for me
based upon conversations I have had with Gmail users.  But hopefully
that explains what you are seeing.

Bob