make-alpha

Re: Naming: a rose by any other ...

From: Ramón García
Subject: Re: Naming: a rose by any other ...
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2007 19:03:49 +0200

Well, this is not my favorite way. I find it too flexible.

My favorite behaviour would be that the first line after the rule says
how much spaces (or tabs or whatever) are used for indenting, and any
following lines with that indentation or more would belong to the
recipe. In this way, a user who just types spaces instead of tabs
would see make just working without obscure settings. (This syntax is
inspired in Haskell).

Although this behaviour cannot be the default for backward
compatibility. But this is issue can be solved. When make detects that
the user is using spaces instead of tabs, make would warn the user and
advice to use the correct flag.

Ramon