make-alpha

Re: Naming: a rose by any other ...

From: Paul Smith
Subject: Re: Naming: a rose by any other ...
Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2007 19:26:20 -0400

On Fri, 2007-09-14 at 19:38 +0000, Boris Kolpackov wrote:
> Also, on a more general note, I think make is too low level for
> anyone who cannot overcome the tabs problem. So perhaps you are
> trying to solve a problem that does not exist. Or, to put in
> another way, tabs is just a first "problem" that you will have
> to solve to make GNU make accessible to a wider audience.

Not sure if you are addressing Ramon here, or the entire idea of
allowing an alternative to TAB characters.  I think it's worthwhile to
allow the alternative.  Although you're right that the concept of using
a TAB shouldn't be beyond the skills of most people who would use a tool
as basic as make, nevertheless there are real technical problems with
TAB: it's very hard to determine whether the TAB is present or not (and
in large makefiles it can be a major pain; some editors turn TABs into
spaces and vice versa automatically; etc.

So I think this change is worthwhile.

 http://www.gnu.org                      http://make.mad-scientist.us