Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] [patch] upgrade packages glib gtk

From: Volker Grabsch
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] [patch] upgrade packages glib gtk
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2010 17:21:03 +0200

Mark Brand <address@hidden> schrieb:
> >Okay, so I reverted your glib upgrade completely:
> >
> >http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/mingw-cross-env/rev/9b2c01f9779b
>
> Going back to glib 2.24 causes the configure step to fail for gtk 2.20.
[...]
> Maybe we should go back to gtk 2.19.6 version (before commit
> 7089cd796690). (Isn't that a development release though?)

We need to use either gtk-2.19.x or glib-2.25.x, so yes, it is
a development release, but AFAICS we don't get along without one.

I leave the decision up to you. Does glib-2.25 work reasonably
well, or should we use glib-2.24 and thus gtk-2.19?

It would be great if you could prepare a patch for either the one
or the other case, _test_ it, and post it to the list. I'd then
include it immediately.

> By the way, if odd subversion numbers are development and even are
> stable, then it seems that a stable version of gtk can depend on a
> development version of glib. This is confirmed here:
> http://osdir.com/ml/gtk-list/2010-03/msg00127.html
>
> The simple strategy of "latest stable glib and gtk" seems untenable,
> since they may be mismatched.

That's true. On the other hand, this is really a mistake on side
of the GTK project, not on our side. I hope this problem will
vanish when glib-2.26 is released. So for now, let's stick with
checking only for stable versions.

Greets,

    Volker

--