Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] [patch] upgrade packages glib gtk

From: Mark Brand
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] [patch] upgrade packages glib gtk
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2010 21:45:00 +0200

We need to use either gtk-2.19.x or glib-2.25.x, so yes, it is
a development release, but AFAICS we don't get along without one.

I leave the decision up to you. Does glib-2.25 work reasonably
well, or should we use glib-2.24 and thus gtk-2.19?

It would be great if you could prepare a patch for either the one
or the other case, _test_ it, and post it to the list. I'd then
include it immediately.

To summarize, we can choose between these 2 combinations:

    glib-2.24.0  +  gtk-2.19.6

    glib-2.25.3 + gtk-2.20.20

Each is half "development" and half "stable".

There were no complaints about the older one AFAIK.

The newer one builds fine on Linux at least. The problem is that the requirement of native inotify is not satisfied on the Mac.

The easiest solution for now is just to go back to the older pair. That's fine with me. But on the other hand, the issue will just come up again later.

After some searching, I read that inotify is used on Linux and something called "fam" is used on other systems. I see that the gio subproject of glib has a "fam" subproject, so this looks promising.

http://blog.julipedia.org/

Tony, would you be willing to try to build glib 2.25.3 on the Mac with "fam" instead of "inotify" in the native part of the glib.mk? For your convenience, I'm attaching a glib.mk that might work. If it works, maybe Volker has a suggestion about the best way to detect Linux/non-Linux and select inotify or fam in the glib.mk.

I don't have any expertise with glib, gtk or other gnome libraries so it would be excellent if someone who does would volunteer to make the tests Volker suggested.

-Mark