Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Qt compilation options

From: Tony Theodore
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Qt compilation options
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2013 21:37:42 +1000

On 07/08/2013, at 2:24 PM, Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> wrote:

>> Hello,
>> have you tried to set
>>
>> QMAKE_CFLAGS_RELEASE
>>
>> in file settings.mk ?
>
> No.  Since recompiling everything is quite time consuming on my old
> laptop, I would like to have confirmation that I'm doing the right
> thing.  Looking up the Qt documentation, I can't find anywhere a hint
> that QMAKE_CFLAGS_RELEASE outside of a compiler specific `qmake.conf'
> works at all, so I'm a bit reluctant.
>
> Similarly, there is nowhere a hint in the mxe documentation how I can
> set additional compiler flags to get size-optimized libraries in
> general.  Modifying CFLAGS globally seems to be a great taboo, and the
> mailing list archive is surprisingly silent on this topic.  Since some
> .mk files set CFLAGS the hard way (e.g. in `twolame.mk'), not allowing
> for any customization, it seems to be unsupported, which is a pity.

You can export CFLAGS (and anything else you like) in settings.mk - it's read
after the `unexport` commands and will apply globally to all packages. There
will eventually be more fine-grained customisation options, but hopefully this
suffices for now.

> I fully agree that allowing custom CFLAGS value might spoil the
> integrity of mxe due to probably nasty side effects.  However, it
> would be nice if simple things like `-Os -momit-leaf-frame-pointer'
> worked.

I've added settings.mk to failing logs so we can at least see what has been
set[1]. Just today[2], there was an issue that seems to be environment related
- I'd like to just dump the output of env/set, but am reluctant to do so as
some people think it's a good idea to store various credentials in env vars.

Cheers,

Tony

[1] https://github.com/mxe/mxe/commit/8982ac6b9e16374bcccc335c8f42df3d052401f1
[2] https://github.com/mxe/mxe/issues/225