[Mingw-cross-env-list] Customising packages (was Qt compilation options)

From: Tony Theodore
Subject: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Customising packages (was Qt compilation options)
Date: Sat, 10 Aug 2013 20:53:25 +1000

On 10/08/2013, at 6:27 PM, Volker Grabsch <address@hidden> wrote:

> Werner LEMBERG schrieb:
>>
>> I see no reason why the user can't provide her own CFLAGS value,

I agree, it's just a matter of deciding how abstract the customisation hooks
are and where to put them.

>> so the correct form would rather be
>>
>>  CFLAGS="$(CFLAGS) -Wno-unused-but-set-variable"
>>
>> I believe.  The same holds for almost all other *.mk files.c
>
> Sorry for not answering directly on your proposal, and
> to just nitpicking about it. But your command should be
> quoted with single-quotes rather than double-quotes:
>
> CFLAGS='$(CFLAGS) -Wno-unused-but-set-variable'
>
> In other words, don't confuse the shell-part and the
> Makefile-part of these commands.

This raises another important point - should this be an $(MXE_ENV_VARS)
variable that also sets CPP/CXX/LD flags etc? The quoting can be controlled by
whatever logic sets MXE_ENV_VARS - but is that confusing the build
infrastructure with package rules?

Does a customisable package look like [1] (ignoring the case of env vars that
precede ./configure)? I've been using the $(MXE_CONFIGURE_OPTS) style in my
static/shared experiments (also to set build/host/prefix etc.) and while it
leads to very terse package rules and allows great flexibility, it's also
completely opaque. Is there some in-between mix of transparency, minimal
boilerplate, global settings, and user overrides?

Cheers,

Tony

[1] ./configure \
        $(MXE_CONFIGURE_OPTS) \