Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Tutorial buglet?

From: Volker Grabsch
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Tutorial buglet?
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2013 14:41:14 +0200

Tony Theodore schrieb:
> On 08/08/2013, at 1:19 AM, Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> >> It appears there are at least 20 more[1] - surely these must just be
> >> legacy scripts
> >
> > Mhmm, pkg-config is not always available;
>
> Indeed, bash isn't always available[1] - but it's not an unreasonable
> requirement;)
>
> > you delegate this management
> > to an additional, external package.
>
> MXE used to include a native version of pkg-config and I think we're going to
> have to start bundling more native tools[2]. Automake 1.14 already breaks
> some packages and it won't be long till people start noticing.

I fully agree.

Also, pkg-config handles the accumulating libraries
for static linking almost automatically and very
well, while the hand-written *-config scripts usually
have some flaws in that regard.

So whenever there's the question whether to fix the
*-config or fix a pkg-config script, I'd prefer the
latter.

Moreover, I wouldn't be unhappy if we'd be able to
provide pkg-config scripts for _all_ libraries.
Writing a new *.pc file is often less hassle than
adjusting some hand-written *-config script.

Regards,
Volker

--
Volker Grabsch