Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] native pkgconf (was Tutorial buglet?)

From: Tony Theodore
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] native pkgconf (was Tutorial buglet?)
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2013 18:50:33 +1000

On 14/08/2013, at 8:32 PM, Volker Grabsch <address@hidden> wrote:

> Tony Theodore schrieb:
>>
>> On 14/08/2013, at 2:01 PM, Tony Theodore <address@hidden> wrote:
>>>
>>> What do you think about using pkgconf[1] instead? It's a minimal dependency
>>> drop-in replacement used by FreeBSD and Gentoo - and from browsing the
>>> code, looks like it would be easier to implement your Cflags.private
>>> proposal.
>>
>> I've copied the request from pkg-config to pkgconf along with a naive
>> implementation - it works for the test suite but I'll try it on mxe to see
>> how it goes with real-world *pc files:
>>
>> https://github.com/pkgconf/pkgconf/pull/50

Cflags.private functionality is now merged:

https://github.com/pkgconf/pkgconf/commit/da179fd8cfadc2d6a64b7ef970231ce28dce741f

>> I don't mind using this before the proposed spec is finalised - the
>> functionality mimics Libs.private and can't be very contentious, what could
>> possibly go wrong?
>
> I think that pkgconf is worth a try. If it works for
> whole operating systems / distributions like FreeBSD
> and Gentoo, it's also a good bet for MXE, I guess.

So far it's very promising, builds in seconds with minimal configuration and
there's only one package (graphicsmagick) that needs adjusting (adding
libtiff-4 to Requires.private). I think it's actually an issue with pkgconf,
but haven't been able to reduce it to a minimal case yet (takes some
combination of redundant Libs.private and multiple Requires.private lookups).

Cheers,

Tony