[Mldonkey-users] mldonkey and firewalls

From: Dirk Stoecker
Subject: [Mldonkey-users] mldonkey and firewalls
Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2002 10:15:59 +0200 (MEST)

Hi,

I'm running a Linux box with iptables firewall installed on it and running
the edonkey linux GUI as well as mldonkey. I opened the necessary ports
for the protocols, but only these. For example 4661 for the servers, but
nothing else.

An option to automatically remove servers which do not match port settings
would be fine (e.g. as comma seperated list).

e.g. for edonkey
allowed server-ports: 4661
allowed client-ports: 4662,4664            (4664 is my mldonkey port :-)

This would reduce the useless entries in server lists and also the useless
tries to connect on all the other ports.

Also an overview about the protocols and all the default ports as well as
the transfer formats would be very helpful.

e.g.
(out --> outgoing destination port is xxx)
(in  --> incomming destination port is xxx)

TCP 4661 out         donkey - default port for server connection
TCP 4662 out/in      donkey - default port for client connection
UDP 4665 out         ???
(.. to be finished...)

usually local only:
TCP 4000 in/out      telnet access mldonkey
TCP 4001 in/out      GUI access mldonkey
TCP 4080 in/out      WWW access mldonkey
TCP 4663 in/out      edonkey client GUI

Such a list would reduce the need to experiment with the port settings a
lot.

Ciao
--
|____| _|_ |____| _|_    _|_ |____| I hope AMIGA never stops making fun!