Re[2]: [Mldonkey-users] Some features and debianization

From: Rainer Krauss
Subject: Re[2]: [Mldonkey-users] Some features and debianization
Date: Sat, 5 Oct 2002 23:45:15 +0200

Hi Goswin,

Saturday, October 5, 2002, Goswin Brederlow wrote:

GB> The querying stuff should be non optional since that just wastes the
GB> servers (and for you more importantly) your bandwith.

GB> Downloading a file only after you've seen it once is a protection
GB> against broken files. Quiet a lot of files are incomplete in the
GB> donkey network and will most liekly never complete even in month.
GB> Implementing a "force" option is not realy high on my todo list since
GB> I see no point in it. Downloading an incomplete only spreads it around
GB> further without making it more complete.

hmmm... i doubt that this is a good idea.

I see 2 main drawbacks. First, what about new Files? Think of a Movie
with 3 CDs which often occures. If everyone waits until seen completed
it would spread very very slow. To get your download started you must
at least one time connect to the original uploader until others have
it full. Sounds like a snowball effect to me or, in this case, no
snowball effect anymore.

The second point are rare files. They will most likely be very much
harmed from spreading as you must find the complete file before you
take place in the chain of shares. So you cant start a partial
download and share what you get to others. If there is only one
uploader with the full file you must wait until you find him to be
online and then the download starts - this will just let you have a
long wait and a lot of people giving up. And chances are good that you
cant finish your download because the uploader gets offline before.
Chances would have been better if you allready downloaded the parts
which are available and download only those not beeing available so
far until now from him. Again kind of missing snowball effect will
make rare files vanish fast.

Just my 2c