Re: [Mldonkey-users] Problems with popular files!

From: Goswin Brederlow
Subject: Re: [Mldonkey-users] Problems with popular files!
Date: 10 Oct 2002 03:27:11 +0200

Taros666 <address@hidden> writes:

> Christian Kaltepoth schrieb:
> > In this moment, mldonkey eats up over 70% of my CPU power (K6-II 400 Mhz).
> > Even the gui (i run it on another computer [1.1 GHz]) seems to slow
> > down.
>
> Have you used the
>
> use_poll false
>
> option?
> That helped me to get back to normal with my CPU load.
>
> > Sometimes it takes up to 4 seconds for a gui element to mention a
> > mouse click. I think it is heavy traffic from the core that makes
> > the gui slow. These files never start downloading... I tried this
> > with very many different files... Older CVS version doesn't seem to
> > have such problems with popular files.
>
> This might the poll feature. It is new ...
>
> But I have the same problems here, too. If a file has many many
> sources (I am talking about more than 20k!) mldonkey adds and removes
> new sources all the time. All CPU get eaten away. No real download is
> been made.
>
> I removed the edonkey support and only use overnet and that gives me a
> bit of releave...but it is still terrible (<10 KB/s and still 5000
> sources)
>
> But that is not only a big problem for mldonkey but for every E2k-Client.
> I tried the offical core, emule and I gave up after 2 hours.
> The edonkey-network is not prepared for that. The network doesn't
> scale well and I think it is not much better with overnet :(

Thats completly a client issue.

Why should a client search for more sources if he already has 1000? If
they are dead it should remove them from its list and if they work it
should be content.

mldonkey uses lists and hashes most of the time and adding or removing
something from a 10K long list will take a lot of time.

Check your max_sources_per_file setting.

MfG
        Goswin