Re: [Mldonkey-users] try_connect.sh | making mldonkey connect a server

From: Rainer Krauss
Subject: Re: [Mldonkey-users] try_connect.sh | making mldonkey connect a server
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 12:31:48 +0100

Hi Peter,

Thursday, October 31, 2002, Peter Müller wrote:

PM> First there is something like a "mldonkey-blocker".
PM> This feature tries to block versions before 2.0 of
PM> mldonkey.

It blocks ALL mldonkey versions as it checks for mldonkeys
way of identifying itself to other mldonkeys.

PM> The second reason is a feature of lugdunum to check
PM> faked upload-ports. If a client connects, the server
PM> tries to connect it on port 4662 (or whatever you use
PM> instead). If the client doesn't respond in a given
PM> time, it is blocked or marked with a low-id. I don't
PM> know it exactly. Anyway, in some circumstances
PM> mldondey doesn't respond like the server assumed.

PM> The third reason is a generally block against clients
PM> with low-id. Put this together with reason two and
PM> mldonkey is out of business again.

I talked to Lugdunummaster about that. This is just a
misunderstanding, Lugdunum checks for mldonkey in the same step it
checks for Low IDs. It's not that mldonkey doesn't respond the correct
way, it just responds that this is a mldonkey client and if the server
operator likes to, you get kicked when your client tells that to the
server.
As Lugdunummaster was too lazy to code its own "mldonkey is blocked"
error message, bekause mldonkey wouldn't display it anyway, you get
blocked as "Low ID". However, seems this is a little buggy and thats
the reason why you actually can connect to Lugdunums but get a
low ID assigned.

As there seems to be another bug in mldonkey you'll see very high or
even negative numbers in the "id" command instead of your low ID. But
in fact, if you see anything but your IP you got a low ID.

What it means exactly to have a low ID i dont know but at least most
servers allow just a little number of low ID clients, so it takes very
long to connect to servers like silent bob.

And, as i said, it is a bug in lugdunum that you can connect. I guess
this will be fixed in future versions, at least if anyone will tell
Lugdunummaster of this bug ;)

PM> <sarcasm>As I'm a fan of edonkey-conspiracy-stories
PM> it's remarkable that eMule connects very well in
PM> normal situations. We are something like pain in the
PM> ass of the lugdunum-eMule-connection and they want to
PM> fight against us with all methods.</sarcasm> (:

The operator of silent bob and some other sysops asked Lugdunummaster
to add a feature to block emule clients too. Dont know if its allready
done.

Emule connects very well bekause of two reasons, first mldonkey, as we
all know, isnt the best in working with system ressources and second
most linux computers are older, slower and have less ram than most
windows computers. Both reasons let mldonkey fail the 8 seconds
timeout way more often than emule.

PM> It is a fact that "the community" doesn't like
PM> mldonkey for reasons I can't unterstand. Okay, the
PM> older version had bugs and "features" that could harm
PM> the network. Now they are fixed.

Lugdunummasters pain are all the old mldonkey clients and as far as i
understood he wants to force mldonkey to ban old clients by ignoring
theire requests. Stupid.

However, mldonkey and Lugdunummaster are "working together" - dunno in
which way but i guess there will be a solution in some time.