[Monotone-devel] Re: static stuff

From: graydon hoare
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: static stuff
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 00:05:27 -0500

Nathaniel Smith wrote:

Hrm, another factum to throw into the mix: there was mention earlier
of making monotone LGPL. I don't have a strong preference either way,
and might even lean towards keeping it GPL, but it should be noted
that adns is GPL, so a switch to LGPL would require the removal of
adns.

yeah, I thought about this the other day, but -- under my hazy understanding of license hybridization -- I don't think it's a big deal. the assembled work (monotone + adns +++) would be GPL, but I can license my own files individually under LGPL, which is probably good enough.

if a proprietary company then *really* wants to make a monotone derivative, the cost of entry is them coming up with a replacement for adns which resolves MX records, and changing a couple functions in network.cc. they don't even need to ask my permission, just make a local copy, on their own, which does it. if they're feeling nice they'll PD or LGPL those changes and feed them back. if not, nobody ever needs to know.

-graydon