Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Branch naming conventions

From: Brian P. Campbell
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Branch naming conventions
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2004 02:14:25 -0500

I realize it's a little ugly, but one branch naming convention that would not have to reverse domain names and would be in a natural (big endian) order would be to use URIs to identify branches. This has the additional advantage that you don't have to tack stuff onto the domain namespace that don't really belong there; with the current scheme (and with Java's scheme), there's an issue if I am at foo.com, and name a collection com.foo.twiddle, with branch com.foo.twiddle.bar and then someone gets the domain com.foo.twiddle, and tries to use that for a collection named bar. I know this is somewhat contrived, but I think it's a valid concern. I agree that URIs are ugly, but they wouldn't be so bad if you could leave the scheme off.

For example:

venge.net/monotone
venge.net/monotone/changesets
venge.net/monotone/ssh