Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Branch naming conventions

From: Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Branch naming conventions
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2004 10:37:03 +0100 (CET)

In message <address@hidden> on Sun, 12 Dec 2004 00:00:02 -0800, Nathan Myers
<address@hidden> said:

ncm> On Sat, Dec 11, 2004 at 10:31:45PM +0000, Bruce Stephens wrote:
ncm> > Nathan Myers <address@hidden> writes:
ncm> >
ncm> > > [domain-name order is] something that you and every other
ncm> > > programmer who might possibly use monotone is very, very used
ncm> > > to.  The only people who have ever even seen the other are
ncm> > > Java coders.
ncm> >
ncm> > There are X.500 distinguished names.
ncm> Very funny.  We all know no one has ever actually read X.500,

*ahem* perhaps you should be a little bit more humble in your
statements.  I've read X.500.

ncm> so there's no way you or anyone could know which endianness it
ncm> suggests.

It doesn't, because it doesn't suggest any specific humanly readable
representation at all.  It leaves that up to each application.
Incidently, the "binary" form is big-endian, regardless of if we're
talking about LDAP, X.509 certificates or whatnot.  So really, X.500
is quite irrelevant for this discussion.

See for details.

                                                -- C.S. Lewis