Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: comments on win32 patches

From: Jon Bright
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: comments on win32 patches
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 21:17:44 +0100

Hi,

Nathaniel Smith wrote:

This feels like one of those places where special-casing isn't worth
it, because while the special case is simpler, you could just use the
general case, have better test coverage, and simpler code overall.  I
could be wrong though, if Unix's path semantics are very complicated
(which seems unlikely?).

My plan was just to go with executing 'which' from the Unix side instead of from the LUA side, and let the path semantics be handled externally.

On the contrary.  Deleting code means you don't have to maintain it,
and reduces the interlocking constraints in your system, giving you
more freedom in implementing other things.  Usually, these factors
free up much more time than you (might, possibly, maybe) save by not
having to rewrite the code later... especially since you don't
actually have to rewrite it, seeing as we have this nice VCS all the
code is in ;-).

My comment was more with the article than the principle - but I'm all for deleting lposix if we don't need it. Less because of the maintainability, more because of the potential security/correctness implications which it introduces (like the chdir() thing we discussed the other day).

--
Jon Bright
Silicon Circus Ltd.