Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: List revision IDs without a working copy?

From: Justin Patrin
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: List revision IDs without a working copy?
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 13:11:34 -0700

On 7/28/05, Steven E. Harris <address@hidden> wrote:
> Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > It does accept the --db argument.
>
> I missed that, apparently because...
>
> > However, if you don't stand in a working directory, you must also
> > give it a revision to start the log from (it works it's way backward
> > from the revision).
>
> and I had no such revision ID in hand. Sorry, I hadn't read the
> documentation carefully enough to catch this constraint.
>
> Perhaps even without a working directory and absent a specified
> revision, log could start with the most recent revision in the
> database and work backward from there. That is, perhaps there is a
> sensible default revision even without a working directory.

<disclaimer>I'm not a monotone dev, I'm a user</disclaimer>
This is precisely the problem. If the branch is merged it could assume
the head as the revision and show the log. However if there are
multiple heads it won't know which one to use. "newest" could eb a
possibility, but IMHO this isn't an assumption monotone should make.
However you *can* solve this very easily. You can run:

monotone --db=DBFILE --branch=BRANCH heads

then grab the revision ID you want (there will be only one if the
branch is merged) and then run the log command with that revision. You
could even use some simple sed/shell trickery to combine them into one
easy-to-use command.

--
Justin Patrin