Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: results of mercurial user survey

From: Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: results of mercurial user survey
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2006 11:31:43 +0200 (CEST)

In message <address@hidden> on Sat, 29 Apr 2006 13:18:49 -0500, Timothy
Brownawell <address@hidden> said:

tbrownaw> Netsync (initial pull, counting both server and client) appears to be:
tbrownaw>    13% libz (56% compression + 22% decompression + housekeeping)

You know, I don't kno if this makes much of a difference, but all
other protocols that I've seen implement compression as a stream
property.  I think this is the first time I've seen selective
compression of individual packets.

Would it make much difference if netsync did it like all other
protocols and has the whole stream compressed?

On the plus side, this also means that we could leave it to the user
to decide if and how strong compression xe wants.  This means, of
course, the the peers in a netsync communication will have to do a bit
of negitiation at the beginning, but the cost for that should be very
small.

Another plus side, should the .ssh branch ever start being used, is
that we can leave it up to the ssh protocol to do the compression part
for us.

Cheers,
Richard

-----